March 28, 2013

FEEDING the Twins


Feeding my little ones is an art.  I wish this was a post about how I just whip out my boobs and tandem feed my twins like a rockstar, but it's not.  You see, the double My Brest Friend isn't getting much action these days.  As I mentioned before, I hoped and planned to breastfeed but {sadly} it just didn't work out physiologically and psychologically for me.  Why do I feel like I'm being judged as I type this?  Yes, the guilt still lingers and yes, I'm still a good mommy {a GREAT one, in fact}.  I'm no less of a mommy because I don't breastfeed and my twins are as healthy as can be.  I'm not any less close to my kiddos and {as a wise friend said} children never grow up and say, "Thank you for breastfeeding me, mommy."

All that to say, if breastfeeding is your forte and you have the luxury of NOT toting bottles and formula everywhere you go...congrats {seriously}!  That's amazing.  And to the twin/triplet mommas out there that are able to breastfeed, you are my hero.  Straight up.

In the beginning, I was going to hold my babies when I fed them {gosh, darn it}!  I once tried feeding Bennett in his nap nanny.  This was followed by crying on my part.  I mean, if I wasn't breastfeeding, I'll be damned if I wasn't holding my babies, one at a time, and gazing into their eyes during feedings.

HA {I now laugh at myself}!  That girl was a crazy, impractical fool.  This new baby thing is all about the mushy-gushy, lovey things but it's also about survival.  And I was NOT surviving hours of feeding screaming babies each day and it probably sucked for them too!!  Something had to give.  I had to figure out how I was going to feed Bennett and Clara at the same time...and fast.  When the twins were around 12 weeks old, we started something new and it was glorious.

Here's our routine:

First, I make sure my "tools" are ready: warmed bottles, bottle props, bibs, blankets {for extra support under the props} and bouncers {propped higher than usual, using the couch as a stabilizer}.  Proper preparation makes for less screaming.  Less screaming makes for happier mommies and babies.  Yes, please.



I start one baby about 5 minutes before the other, so that burping is staggered.  Once we get going, here's what the set-up looks like:


While it may look like you can easily run to the restroom, grab a coffee or watch an uninterrupted episode of Dance Moms, this just happens to be a peaceful moment {pretty sure they were showing off for you guys}.  It's important to stay close-by and monitor.  The bottle props WILL fall and your little ones WILL choke from time to time.  But it's okay, because you're right there to help.  I try to burp each baby twice during and once after feeds.  I also try to squeeze in clipping their nails and other grooming tasks that are difficult when they're being super wiggly.

Feeding them this way cuts my time {and stress} in half.  Most feedings take about 25 minutes and then I'm free to spend quality time with both of them.  Amazing.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! Breastfeeding did'nt work for me either and I went through the guilt and crying. But, like you, I was able to realize my babies are healthy, full, and happy on formula and it eliminated SO MUCH stress on both of us! That is a great set up you and i am glad you found a method that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do what works for you!! You've already got that part down! First step to becoming a GREAT Mommy is realizing this... you are so far ahead! :) Well done, friend! And those bottle things are crazy cool! I am loving catching up on the latest and greatest in your world. I appreciate your raw honesty about becoming a mom and know that you are not alone is so many of the experiences you have had. Justin and I are praying for Scott as he continues to fight that stupid cancer! Thanks for keeping us all posted and for sharing the most adorable twins with the world! :) They are precious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Katie! I'm really starting to enjoy being a SAHM but it's been a bumpy road!! We really appreciate your prayers...more than you know. Thank you. xoxo

      Delete
  3. First of all, you are an AMAZING momma!!! Feeding two babies is craziness!!!;) I hate how guilty moms are made to feel about it... Secondly, the timing of when I read this is straight up hilarious... I took the babies on their first outing today to the mall. Everything was going great until they both started screaming at the exact same time... They were hungry earlier than I thought they would be... You can't very well tandem nurse in a Nordstrom bathroom, so I grabbed Katherine first... (she was screaming louder... shocker) I had about a million eyes on me as Kaden screamed at the top of his lungs in his car seat for about thirty minutes while I fed her... I was trying so hard to hold back the tears because I couldn't console Kaden...he wouldn't take a paci... so I decided to get on Facebook ( I know... Mother of the year)...to calm myself down...When I saw your blog...About feeding. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this makes me SOOO happy, Sharon. Amazing. I can hear your voice in your writing and that makes me smile. Thanks for reading. I love how the timing was so perfect. YOU, ma'am, are one of the heroes I mentioned above. I'm totally impressed with your commitment and strength. Love you. Love your friendship. Can't wait for our little ones to be best of buds. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love reading this! I am so impressed with your system! LOVE it! I think it's funny how you have your "tools" organized to make feedings go easier, because I do the same thing! Maybe it's the teacher in us- but I cannot feed Caleb without my tools and a "perfect set up." And I'm only feeding 1 baby! Feeding one is challenging enough. Feeding two--- well you are flat out heroic in my book! Keep up the great work! The twins look healthy and adorable and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am literally laughing so hard! I love you! I wish we could be mommies together in the same town! I recently had to start Bowen on formula and it was hard on him and me at first but now we are both doing better! I've got to find a bottle prop! Never heard of those and this is the third time around!

    ReplyDelete